Sunday, December 4, 2016

Who Are We Trying To Please?


Galatians 1:10 ESV / 367 helpful votes

For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.

A coworker once asked me what I thought was an innocent question. "Who are you trying to please?" Of course I was totally caught off guard and started to mumble what I'm sure was some sore of rambling response of what he wanted to hear. But he stopped me and didn't let me answer. Instead he asked me to think about it.

Grr..that get's my goat for sure. Or at least it used to. Yes, I used to be the type of person who tried to please everyone with the right answers, helping out all the time, going the extra mile until it nearly killed me. Yes, even being that person in the family that everyone goes to  for help "solving their problems".

One of the things that I soon came to grips with in recovery is that there is only person I need to please and that is The Lord. If I can please Him, then my actions should be good enough. Well, that's actually easier said then done really. Pleasing The Lord means that we need to understand what is actually pleasing to Him. Yikes! It's getting complicated especially for someone who is dealing with CoDependency. I've come to realize that I need to analyze my actions to see if they pass a litmus test to speak.

In order for God to be pleased it means he has to like my actions right? So, I must accept that I am a sinner and that my actions of the past are forgiven because I asked Him for forgiveness. This helps me not fall into the "nothing I do is going to be good enough trap."  And knowing that I am a sinner and have so many faults, it helps me also accept that no matter what I do - it's not going to be perfect. But if I do it with the correct intentions, he will be pleased.

The Lord also isn't looking for us to be perfect. He already knows we live in a broken world full of sin which is why He came and died for us. What God is really looking for, I believe, is that we trust Him. It's why Paul tells us that by good deeds along we are not saved.

So, I ask once more. Who are you trying to please? Man, yourself, your sponsor or accountability partner? It took me a while to realize that the only being I need to please is the one who created me. Sure, others will be disappointed in me, but I've learned that I can't make everyone happy and I shouldn't try either. It's just not my job.  Now that is freeing!