Monday, December 5, 2016

Be Still

Psalm 46:10

New International Version (NIV)

10 He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;    I will be exalted among the nations,    I will be exalted in the earth.”


Sorry today's devotion is late...it's been a journey at our house today (well starting last night really). My son (the one with special needs) had a huge meltdown at a church event last night. And this type of meltdown is the type that some day might just lead to putting him a mental hospital for a few days for med management.

The reason I tell you this is because in the past, this type of event would have thrown both my husband and I for a loop and would have ended up with both of us acting out and returning to that life we are leaving behind.

During times like these I often don't have the words to pray and sometimes I feel like my prayers are a broken record. But at least during the rough times both my husband and I have learned to lean on God and pray as our first resort rather than our last even if my prayers feel so inadequate.  This morning, as I did my devotion with my friend, our book talked about praying first which just felt like confirmation to me that our ways are changing and that I can actually see the fruit of all this hard work.

Often when we hear the "Be still" verse we only remember the first part "Be still and know that I am God" but I think the second part is actually the more amazing part. The verse says (and mind you this is God speaking) "I will be exalted among the nations. I will be exalted in the earth." God is telling me to be still and basically let him work it out - he will be exalted through all of this.

There are two definitions of exalted (I know because I looked them up). The first means to be put in a place of high regard. The second definition means a state of extreme happiness. 

When I read this verse today and think about my life, this is what I figured out...Be Still in your troubles because "I got this". I am working this all out so that everyone may know that I am God and it will all bring me extreme happiness. See, God is not happy to see us suffer and so he is working on our behalf to bring us into his world of no pain, no suffering and complete happiness. No, it's not our world now, but for those who believe it will be.

Today, I'm being still and letting God work it out!

PS. The verse that came from my devotion today (really got me thinking) was Matthew 7:7-8.7 "Ask, and it will be given you. Seek, and you will



find. Knock, and it will be opened for you.
8 For everyone who asks receives. He who seeks
finds. To him who knocks it will be opened.