Monday, October 23, 2017

Incline Your Ear

Isaiah 55:3
Incline your ear, and come to me; hear, that your soul may live.

Part of giving up control (like we talked about yesterday) is having listening ears. What good is it if we decide to let God be in charge and we don't listen to what he tells us to do?  Conversing with God is not like Moses and the burning bush where we hear him physically with our ears.  Sometimes God speaks to us through the Holy Spirit, sometimes through scripture, sometimes through other people that he has put in our lives.

I don't know what God is going to tell you to do. But I do know that when I get an idea I put it through a test. If this "idea" seems scriptural based I'll make sure to back it up by looking at more scriptures, if this idea just appeared in my mind, I might run it past others to see if it makes sense. I know that when an idea pops into my mind and it just grits me like sandapaper I take time to examine that.  Is it because this idea is one of the world's and not God's? Is it because this idea is something I really don't want to do because it's too hard.  Taking time to examine ideas and situations is a wise choice to make sure it's God honoring.

Often, in the beginning of recovery, our mind is muddled with lots of conflicting thoughts. I can't do this. I'm not good enough. God doesn't really want me. I will never beat this hurt, habit or hang-up even though I so desire to. Having a sponsor or accountability partner is a wonderful way to help weed out what are the thoughts of the world and Satan and doubt.

Since we decided to let go and let God be in charge of our lives, let's now listen for his orders.