I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:14I thought that after yesterday's "Musical Monday Press On" post that I'd write about what does that mean to those who are in recovery for an addiction? What are some practical ways that we can make this work so that we win the prize for which God has called us?
It's not an exhaustive list but rather some ideas that we can incorporate into our lives...
- Attend 12 Step Meetings or Celebrate Recovery Meetings
- Do step studies
- Be accountable to someone
- Look at our lives and figure out that which seems to trigger our addictions
- Make amends to those we have hurt
- Talk with others about our addiction
- Read the Bible
- Get good sleep
- Eat Well
- Detach from that which will lead us back into old habits (people, places or things)
- Track your sobriety date
- Attend counseling
- Attend group counseling
- Take medicine if it's prescribed
- Read the Bible
- Make short term goals and meet them
- Make long term goals and plan steps to make them happen
- Reward yourself for making progress
- Read about addiction to understand
- Attend Church
- Get connected with support groups
- Identify warning signs that you might be spiraling
- Allow yourself time to grieve about how you wronged others but don't dwell on it
- Do daily devotions from multiple sources
- Be an accountability partner or sponsor for someone else
- Use an app like recoveryBox to track your addiction progress
I hope this list gives you some ideas. Sometimes the problem is so huge that we have just no idea of what we can do. If you are looking for your first step - my advice would be to pray to God for his help. He's been waiting for you. The next step is to attend a 12 Step meeting or Celebrate Recovery meeting and get help there. You might need to consider checking into a facility that specializes in breaking addictions.
Regardless of where you are on your Addiction recovery journey - Press On!