Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Will You Be My Friend?

If someone days, "I love God", but hates a Christian brother or sister, that person is a liar; for if we don't love people we can see, how can we love God, whom we cannot see? I John 4:20


I read this quote that said "To find a friend one must close one eye. To keep him..two" It's by Norman Douglas. It really got me thinking not about my friends (cuz goodness knows how I love them) but rather it got me thinking about myself.  I was thinking about my faults and failures and that my friends look right past those to love me for who I am.

We were born to have connection with others. It's why God made Eve for Adam because he knew that man needed something more than just himself.  But we loose those connections with people when we dive deeply into our addictions and hang ups and hurts.  And as we loose connections we start to tell ourselves that nobody would want to be my friend.  I'm a loser and have nothing to offer.

But, if that were true, why did God make you?  Didn't he make you for the purpose of blessing others? In life, we don't need the 1000 friends on Facebook to feel loved.  Rather, we just need those 2 or 3 good friends to love us as we are - those who can close their eyes and look past out failings because they have already examined their own.

It's one of the reasons that I created the recoveryBox app. By finding someone who has already walked the journey that you are on, they have already self-examined and can look past faults in order to bring healing.

Find one good friend today. Close your eyes and look past their failures but listen to their encouraging words - because that's what they are doing for you.