Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Constructive Thinking

So I saw that there is nothing better for people than to be happy in their work. That is why we are here! No one will bring us back from the death to enjoy life after we die. Ecclesiastes 3:22

This is where I struggle. In fact, it's often the root of my depression. I have stayed home with the kids every since they were babies.  I gave up a great career in IT as a programmer/developer to take care of my kids. I do have a special needs child and when he was younger I knew that staying home is what I was being called to do.

But now they are in school and I often have the itch to go back.  But, with working full-time, it would be such a challenge.  My son especially needs the structure of mom home in the mornings and afternoons. And I sometimes get called to go to school during the day for situations.  And that depressed me --  Won't I ever get to go back to work full-time?  Wouldn't it be nice to have some extra money for vacations?

But, isn't work not about making money but about being purposeful? Isn't it about being able to make a difference in someone's life?  So lately, the more I dwell on this the more I realize that right now God has set my life up to take care of the boys (which has a purpose) and also to be able to continue with the development of recoveryBox.  I get to help others because of our own family journey through addiction.

It's not always easy to see God's purpose and often harder to accept it.  Ultimately, life is about contributing to something that is bigger than ourselves. But in whatever you do, we must do it to the best of our abilities - always!