Sunday, February 5, 2017

The Lord is our Shepard

Psalm 23

A psalm of David.

The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
    He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
    he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
    for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk
    through the darkest valley,[a]
I will fear no evil,
    for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.
Surely your goodness and love will follow me
    all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
    forever.
Those of us who belong to The Lord know we are safe and secure. We know for certain that The Lord is our Shepard and therefore we do not fear the future because our Shepard is already there. He will walk before us every day, leading us to our eternal destination.
Sometimes we have doubts about the future. We wonder whether we will have enough to provide for our essential needs. With childlike certainty, the psalmist then tells us, “I shall not be in want.” You shall not be in want of anything that you truly need and that is good for you. The Lord will hear you when you call, because His love never changes.
Grace for Each Moment
I have go to admit that I am a worrier. Honestly I know where I get it from and it’s something I diligently work at each day. I’ve learned to separate wants versus needs. And as I tell my kids, God always provides what we need. Sometimes it’s not in a form that I would have liked - but I’m not in charge. And the thing I’ve come to appreciate is that my wants have become less for 2 reasons. First, I’ve come to appreciate what truly is needed to live a Godly life. And second, because I really just want more of Him. And that gets me through my day.