Tuesday, January 3, 2017

What's Your Treasure?

Matthew 6:19-21

19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.


I am a person of joy, and some people think it’s because I have a perfect life. Ha! Nothing could be further from the truth. But I have discovered a secret that is the source of my joy: I have reassigned my treasure.

My family, probably like yours, is far from ideal. (insert your own family problems here).

But I’ve learned through this that craving my self-worth, identity, creativity from others just doesn’t work. I can’t commit my sanity or insanity to my children, husband, friends, family, school PTO, clients, or anyone else. My joy MUST come from knowing that God’s agenda is greater than my own. Thus, I reassigned Him to be my treasure by placing my trust in His promise of grace and mercy. Once I shifted my focus from me to Him, I realized that I could be joyful and strong regardless of my heartbreaking situation. I absolutely refuse to relinquish my joy to it.
So, what is your treasure? Your home? Your spouse? The quest for money or more stuff? Your children’s success? Your position in your church or community? [being able to successfully hide your addiction from others?] Be careful; it may make finding joy an impossible task.
Of course, finding reassigning your treasure may not be easy. My only helpful tip: it’s easier to let go of something once you recognize it wasn’t yours in the first place.
— One Year Book of Inspiration, January 3rd