Wednesday, January 25, 2017

The Lord Will Fight For You

The Lord will fight for you; You Only Need to Be Still ~ Exodus 14:14

When I was a little girl, I dreamed of having someone come and rescue me. In fact, my sister and I would run around the yard pretending such silly things. But as I grew older I realized that there is no such thing a a Prince Charming. Even as much as I wanted my spouse to be that person, I discovered that I placed my hope and trust in the wrong person. Because, even my spouse fails me.

So, is there really a Prince Charming, or is that only in fairy tales? About three years ago, my life got turned upside down in such a short period of time that I felt like I was drowning. My spouse admitted his addiction to me and I soon realized my own habits that made my own life unhealthy. And the vision I can offer was me bobbing going under the water and literally I felt like I was a goner. I thought someone was going to rescue me - someone - anyone. But no one came. Yes, I had friends but like my spouse, they couldn't rescue me. One day, literally down on my knees I cried out for help, a hand reached down and swooped me out of the water and placed me on solid ground. 

That was my God!  I needed to admit that I was powerless to do "this" on my own and cry out and just declare that I needed help and He was there. His grip was strong and I had no fear of falling. That is an amazing feeling.

I love the verse for today's devo. The LORD will fight for me!  That means despite all my flaws (and I have a lot of them), that He wants me so much that He will fight for me!  And because of that, I am determined to work harder on my bad habits. Fighting for me implies action. The Lord is actively working so that I will be free of these horrible habits in my life so that I would have a greater and deeper  relationship with Him. Yes, I have lots of work to do on my own, but some of his "action" is empowering me with the tools I need to recover.

In the fairy tale, the girls falls in love with the Prince and they get married and live happily ever after. And here is the truly amazing part of this devo - I AM his bride and He my bridegroom (Isaiah 54:5) and I can honestly say I am head over heals in love with Him. And I do get to live happily every after eternally in heaven. Have you met this Prince yet? If not, perhaps today you might take a little time to cry out to Him and let Him rescue you.