Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Assess Yourself

Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought. Romans 12:3

Many people have a poor opinion of themselves and their abilities. Such people lead unhappy and frustrated lives, because that which you believe of yourself is inevitably reflected in your way of life.
Before I continue with the authors Devo I’m pausing for us to reflect. If we think of ourselves as addicts then we are, and all our actions will be dictated by that thinking. If we think of ourselves as in recovery AND believe that then our actions will align themselves with that thinking. Makes sense? Sure, but do we truly believe it? And do we live like we believe it?
The author continues: As a Christian disciple, sooner or later you must assess yourself in the light of God’s Holy Spirit. This could be a humbling experience or it could reveal a revelation, and you will begin to see who you can become through God’s strength, wisdom, and inspiration.
Stop disparaging yourself and convincing yourself that you will never achieve anything worthwhile. [Stop convincing yourself that you are not capable of remaining sober]. You were created in the image of God and in His eyes you are invaluable. If you embrace this truth, the honest assessment of your life is about to begin.
Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought. Romans 12:3
As I pondered today’s Devo, I think it’s important to remember that we are created in His image and He doesn’t make mistakes. He made us for His purpose and to fight him in our thoughts of ourselves is telling Him he’s wrong. I don’t know about you but I’ve tried life my way and it hasn’t worked out to well. So now I think of myself through His eye’s and all that he made me to do.