Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Putting Childish Thoughts Behind

11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; now that I have become a man, I am done with childish ways and have put them aside. 1st Corinthians 13:11

This morning, my son and I were having a heated discussion about his chore money. He felt that I owed him money even when I explained to him that he did not follow through with all of his responsibilities. And for the next fifteen minutes, in his childish ways he whined, tried to reason, complained and even threw a tantrum like a child will. And I expect that from my kids - because their reasoning ability is all centered around themselves - what is fair to them, what makes them feel good, what they can get for the least amount of work.

I get it (even though at 7:10 in the morning right before his bus is supposed to come, this "discussion" was trying my patience - huge!) And what can I do besides stick to my parenting guns - I can pray that he will grow into a young man who sees life not just though his selfish eyes - but consider the world and people in it around him.

As adults, aren't we supposed to have this all figured out? When we see our kids throwing a tantrum about something like this - it's obvious right? Or is it?

For some of us - I don't think it is. If it was, we wouldn't be in this world of addiction, hurts, hang-ups, habits. If it was so obvious, shouldn't we just be able to stop?

Perhaps, you never received the type of parenting that you needed in order to be able to cope with life and instead you chose addiction as the answer. Now as an adult you see your life crumbling around you and perhaps are wondering why? It's time we stop reasoning like a child and put on our big girl (or boy) pants and make adult choices. If you feel like you don't know how - seek help with a counselor, attend a Celebrate Recovery meeting, or a 12 step meeting, ask a trusted friend for their honest truth.  

It's time to put childish thinking, child reasoning and actions aside. It's time to getting our healing on!  What pants are you wearing today?