Sunday, November 19, 2017

Be Still!

Psalm 46:10

New International Version (NIV)
10 He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth.”
Be still! Goodness, it's something I must say to my kids at least ten times a day. Maybe it's just boys but mine are always on the move.  I joke around (sometimes) and tell my husband that they must get this desire to always be moving or doing something from his side of the family. But then he quickly tells me it's gotta be my side of the family.

This morning I drove my youngest to school as I normally do. As I pulled into my driveway I realized I couldn't remember how I got home. In fact, I don't remember any of the driving part. But the sad thing is I remember the entire conversation I had in my head. I remember telling myself I need to go start a load of laundry before I practice for tonight's practice at church. I told myself to start the dishwasher. I was envisioning what I was going to code today. I was thinking about this past weekend when I was so bored out of my mind just sitting on the couch resting my foot still in a cast.

Whoa - how in the word did I have time to think/plan all these things (and more) on my short ride home from school. I know we live in a society that is just screaming at full volume about all things that we have to accomplish in order to be successful. And then I realized - yes I am just like my kids in that I am never stopping myself to "just be" and "rest".

Perhaps, if I rest I am worried about what will happen if boredom sets in? I know for me, boredom leads to me being cranky and then I start to get involved in everyone's business and - well, let's just say I'm not going to even allow myself to think down that CoDependent route!

As I was driving I could hear this voice in my head saying - "Be Still! Be Still!" Over and over. I knew it's that voice I hear when God is speaking to me. So today, I choose to be still and reflect on Him. I know I'm a doer - but sometimes we need that time to reflect on our lives and our recovery journey and on Him. And sometimes we need to allow ourselves to be still - just so that we can overcome.  Can you be still today?