Wednesday, November 29, 2017

A Little Lump of Clay

Jeremiah 18:1-6

At the Potter’s House

18 This is the word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord: “Go down to the potter’s house, and there I will give you my message.” So I went down to the potter’s house, and I saw him working at the wheel. But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him.
Then the word of the Lord came to me. He said, “Can I not do with you, Israel, as this potter does?” declares the Lord. “Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand, Israel.

Ever think, "There is no way God can change me!" Or what about "I just can't change, I'm such a failure." You (and I) am thinking about addiction in terms of human eyes and human limitations - our personal limitations.

In this verse, the message is clear. God is like the potter who takes the marred clay pot and reshapes it into something else. Our lives filled with addiction, hurts, hang-ups, habits, and sin are that marred pot and God simply reshapes us.

When we finally decide to allow God to mold us and stop living in doubt or trying to control the outcome, our attitude of humility allows us to finally accept that our Creator can do anything. Anything! He may remold our lives into something that looks similar to the one before we gave up control, or he may mold it into something completely different.  It may be scary, but it will be something beautiful. Just hold still and let Him mold us.