Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Take Cover

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. 1 Peter 1:1-5

Yes, I keep adding on each day to the verse we have been studying. There really is so much in it that for our short daily devo's I think it's best to take it in pieces and reflect on that piece for the day.

I titled the devo today "Take Cover" because when I think of the word shield I think of a force field kinda like an umbrella - maybe it's the science fiction in me from having boys and all the super hero stuff they watch. But the shield in this verse is amazing - it's God's shield.   In my kids shows, somehow the shield just doesn't seem to last or is broken through. But not so with God's shield..it's of God's power.  And any reading of the Bible will turn up such amazing and powerful examples of how mighty God's power is that I have no DOUBT in my mind as to the strength of God's power.

And so, when we read this verse it clearly states that the inheritance promised by God is being protected by the shield of his power. I envision in my head his amazing force field over my inheritance. Too bad I just can't make out what that inheritance is. Huh! Well, the end of the sentence tells us when we get to see it "revealed in the last time". 

If God is actually protecting my inheritance then he must think it's pretty special and needs to be guarded for me. That's awesome and makes me want it all the more. This is the God who created everything - and so I know the majesty and creativity of his creations. I truly believe this inheritance to be special because of that.

Today, rejoice in your decision (if you have made it already) to renounce the life of addiction, hurts, hang-ups and habits and embrace the life Jesus has for you. If you have not made that decision yet, I pray that you will soon find peace.