Tuesday, July 18, 2017

I Never Knew That About You

Instead, you must worship Christ as Lord of your life. And if someone asks about your Christian hope, always be ready to explain it. 1 Peter 3:15

In developing those relationships with your peers (we talked about this 2 days ago) you are letting them into your life and they in return. At first it will be little glimpses and that's OK. It's natural and good to watch who you develop those relationships with. Not everyone has the hope of Jesus Christ.

But here is the thing, (and I know this might seem crazy) but you might find yourself giving hope to someone.  Because you found hope and have decided to take back your life you will display something about yourself that you didn't have in the past. And others WILL notice. You can't help have a life of sobriety and not feel changed which will be reflected on all areas of your life.

And because others will notice, you might find yourself sharing. You don't have to tell others about your addiction. But as the verse says, be ready to share about Jesus. It doesn't have to be sermons, but it can be little comments that might get someone intrigued. Here is an example. When someone gripes about a project and the deadlines and stresses and asks you "How do you handle the stress so well?" You can reply with something like "I take the time each day to center myself and come up with a plan of what can be achieved today." Maybe they might ask about "How you center yourself?" Maybe, maybe not. But you just might open that door to share. And yes, even you as a person overcoming an addiction can become a mentor!!!!

The thing is, don't be frustrated if you miss the opportunity. I was once asked by someone in my family "How do you keep such a positive outlook dealing with all your stuff?"  Oh how the door was opened and I missed it. I wish I could have a do-over on that conversation. And trust me - I've played it out in my head so many times.  But I didn't and so I can't dwell on it.  BUT, it gave me the opportunity to reflect on the missed chance and has sharpened my mind to be able to respond the next time.  So don't beat yourself up on it. We are often clumsy in the mouth and mind when we are early in our faith and just don't know how to respond. Just know that opportunities will arise and be ready.