Sunday, May 7, 2017

Spiritual Maturity

When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 1 Corinthians 13:11

Our spiritual maturity is something that ought to grow by God's grace.  But, because we allow things like grudges to fester in our lives we teeter back and forth like a rocker..never to go anywhere.  Forgiving and forgetting is truly a hard thing to do.  Someone who is suffering from an addiction might have the need to forgive someone in their past and often until they do  -- well, growth can't be achieved. Others can forgive and move on more easily.  Someone who has been hurt by those who have addictions must forgive as well - but the forgetting part might be what holds them back.

Doing the "inventory" step of recovery often helps us see clearly what steps we need to take. It takes courage to offer that forgiveness or to ask for it.  If our heavenly Father above is willing to offer his forgiveness and grace through his son Jesus Christ then we need to hold on to that truth even if we are failed by our earthly family.

We can grow if we allow God to lead us. Like children, we don't know about "life" which is why we have parents to teach us. As adults, we don't know the path either, so why do we stay guarded and full of bitter that can trip us up. We also have a Father who is going to lead the way.  Let go of the hurts  and ask God to fill you with the Holy Spirit so that you can grow and experience the life that God has planned for you.  Trust me, this is a battle I deal with myself - a lot!  I know it's not easy, but it can be done.