Tuesday, April 25, 2017

I Lift My Eyes to the Hills

Psalm 121:1-2  

A Song of Ascents. I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.









It's normal to feel helpless in life. It's because we are not in control and as a people we want control.  I can attest to this as I am a control freak! And yes we have free will to make our own choices and they do have consequences but in reality, God is in control. And so why do I try and "control" situations.  How silly of me to think I know God's plan and that I can do better.










And so when I need help, instead of trying to figure everything out on my own, I do as the Psalmist wrote and I lift my eyes to the hill because that is where my help will come from.










This weekend in my son's Sunday School class the teacher asked the kids "Why is it so hard to trust God?" (I was helping which is why I know what was said). And one smart kiddo answered, "Because I can't see him." Boy, did that little child state the obvious.  But I contend that he was seeing life through a child's set of eyes.  I can see God's love and provision in so many ways.  But I can see it because I am looking for it.  And so we must train ourselves to not only let God be in control but also to recognize His hand upon situations.  That is why we pray yes?  As we grow in faith and maturity, we begin will begin to see God's hand in life. And for those things that don't make sense, we get to ask him later.  How wonderful that life will not go unresolved.