Saturday, March 4, 2017

When We Don't Know What to Pray For

Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. Romans 8:26-27

There are days when I literally just want to give up. I feel like I'm failing on so many fronts - not even one small victory. In fact, it's so bad that I just don't know how to pray. What do I say? What do I ask for? If I knew what to pray for I'd probably try and do it right? I know it sounds weird - I should know exactly what to pray for..the things that have me in despair. But in reality, I don't even know where to begin to find the words.

And then one day I read this nugget of a verse. The Spirit himself intercedes on my behalf. The Spirit knows my heart, and my situation and when I am too weak, too weary, too emotional spent when I try to utter words of pray and nothing comes out that makes sense - the Spirit helps me out.

I can't say how that in and of itself gives me such hope!  The verse says that the spirit intercedes according to the will of God - and God's will is perfect. So I'm not going to even doubt what the Spirit asked for. This verse is not to be used as an out from praying at all, but it does help us understand that there are going to be times in our lives when we can only muster out "Help" to God and the Spirit just runs with it. And God knew this would happen and planned for it on our behalf!  Truly amazing to me.

For me, with all the battles being fought, that's enough. And so I end with "thank you my precious Father". When this happens, mention this to your accountability partner/sponsor and talk it through. God provides us help on many fronts.