Thursday, March 16, 2017

What Exactly Do We Fear?

Mark 4:35-41 35 That day when evening came, he said to his disciples, “Let us go over to the other side.” 36 Leaving the crowd behind, they took him along, just as he was, in the boat. There were also other boats with him. 37 A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped.38 Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, “Teacher, don’t you care if we drown?”
39 He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!” Then the wind died down and it was completely calm.
40 He said to his disciples, “Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?”
41 They were terrified and asked each other, “Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!”

During our lives, we will have fears - no doubt about that. Many going through recovery even fear the process. Will I succeed? Will I maintain my sobriety? What will happen if others find out about my addiction? What will happen with my family if I tell them? Or perhaps your fears have nothing to do with recovery but rather life situations such as Will I still have a job tomorrow? Will my kids be safe at school? Are we going to lose the house? Will I die of some genetic disease?

The thing is, there are so many things in life that we can fear. And so many are legit!!  No doubt about it!

So how do we balance the idea that Jesus tells us not to fear in anything verses the reality of life and legit fears?

Let's look at the verse above.There was a horrible storm - and Jesus woke up and quelled the storm! The wind stopped and the entire scene became calm!  Now look at the reaction of the disciples - they were AFRAID!  But not of the storm because they should have been relieved since it stopped. They were terrified of Jesus.  I would too if I saw the storm cease immediately. Up until now they saw Jesus healing people, and do miracles that affected others. But their lives were at peril because of this terrible storm - and Jesus stopped it in it's tracks. 

Who is this man that the forces of nature OBEY him IMMEDIATELY!  Now the disciples were getting that He is the son of God. And they realized his power - and NOW they realized they should be afraid of him.

Jesus is a compassionate person and full of love - but he is so powerful that we can't even begin to fathom how powerful.

So, when Jesus tells us not to fear anything, I think I'm going to listen to the one who can calm the storm immediately. For he can do anything! If Jesus can calm a storm in life - he most definitely can calm the storms in my life no matter how simple or complicated they are.