Monday, February 20, 2017

Conquering Depression

Depression and pessimism are ailments that can destroy a person's soul. Apart from the fact that depression is an illness of the mind, it also affects your physical and spiritual well-being, limits your vision of the future, and negatively influences your attitude towards life.

The only way to fight such an emotional disruption effectively is to turn to Christ and open yourself to His love and healing.

Place yourself unconditionally in His care. When Jesus guides you along the path you need to take through life, you will find that because of your obedience to Him, you will be filled with a sense of self-confidence and well-being that only he can give you.

For you who revere My name, the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its wings. Malachi 4:2

-- Depression. It's so hard. I know.  I have been there so many times.  For some it's something that just hits during a certain point in their lives and for others, like me, it's truly a chemical imbalance in the brain.  Regardless of the circumstance the world just seems dark. It seems like life is going to be so hard to deal with.  I don't want to get out of bed. I don't want to go to work. I don't want the pain that is just searing through my body. I don't want to talk to anyone else. I just want to be left alone to my thoughts. Why did this happen? Why can't I just have that next hit? Why is everyone disappointed in me?  Why does my son have to have disabilities? Why can't God just wave a wand and make it all better?

The good news is that you can overcome depression. Life does throw us curveballs but we have the power to throw them right back! How?? With the power of Jesus Christ! Take the time to scour scripture to find those verses that tell you the truth. And when needed find a counselor for help or a trusted friend. And yes, there are times that you might need to go on a med for a time to help the brain clear up to be able to think straight.

I am living proof as a person who deals with severe depression each day that my God is with me and sustains me.  And he will you too!

Grace For each Moment